Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sick: Wonderful or Awful

So I know its been awhile since I've written...Sorry about that. We were all sick. First Hayden on Sunday, then I woke up sick Monday, then I picked up Ethan at school Tuesday because he had a temperature. It was awful, but kinda great at the same time. I had a legitimate excuse for lounging around all day. Except for at the time I was feeling like I'd rather die (or even pay bills) then feel so awful. But now that I am better I am grateful for all that extra sleep. It's funny how you can't (or me at least) can't be grateful for something until it's taken away. I have been feeling so rushed and busy lately, and just really wishing that for one week I could have nothing that needed to be done. You know just a week to myself. Of cousre when I got my week to myself all I wanted to do was to busy myself with my endless to do lists that have been piling up...like scrapbooking and such; But after last week I was so bored I was grateful that I have things to do. I like babysitting Payson, even though I get none of my stuff done, I like taking Ethan to Tae Kwon Do, even though it takes forever and it's far. So you know what life is good. And I am grateful for my endless to do lists. Because the latter is really boring.

I read an article called It takes a novel (By Nell Casey) last week in the Cookie magazine that I thought was dead on. It said:

"The hours pass slowly," a friend once remarked about staying home with a newborn, "but the days go quickly." This shifting quality of time persists, mainly because the sacred and the mundane are forever commingling. Over the days, your life moves dutifully from one errand to the next, and yet over the years, it takes on an epic quality. "Is life fascinating or boring?" a mother asks in Diane Johnson's woonderful and eccentric novel The Shadow Knows (Plume). Is everything clear and decided, or are there possiblities for wonder unbounded?" The answer of course is: both.

1 comment:

Burk Family said...

That quote is so great. It is dead on! Last week we had some nasty weather. For like 3 days we did nothing but hang out in jammies until noon and play inside. I loved that I actually, guiltlessly sat down and played. But today also felt good, where I felt like I ran a million miles an hour all day. I'm thankful for both kinds of days!