Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Our Cali Trip

We started our California adventure with a camping trip in San Clemente. We were lucky enough to have Shawn join us. Usually I am on my own! The weather was lovely. Warm enough for the kids to play in the water (although not warm enough for me!) and cool enough to put on a warm sweater, which is decidedly the best. You might not appreciate that if you don't live in AZ! Our camping trip this year was a lot shorter, hence the main reason Shawn was able to join us for the whole time. But we still had plenty of time for beaching, relaxing, biking, and plenty of camp fire time! We even tried going to church. I say tried because we got to the San Clemente building, right on time, a huge feat in itself (have you ever got ready for church in a tiny, steamy tent? Not fun.) But anyway we walk up to the building to a large 'Welcome to Stake Conference' sign on the door. Argh! We get points for trying, right? So we made the best of everyone all dressed up and had an impromptu photo session instead, with the scenic ocean in the distance behind us. Beautiful!

On our last day of camping everyone cleaned up the site and met at Dana Point Harbor. My Mom rented a Catamaran for everyone, my Mom's cousin Julia and husband Mickey, and my Uncle Phil from Northern Cali joined us for a very special memorial service for my Grandfather who had just passed away about two weeks earlier. It was his wish to have his ashes placed in the ocean. It was an amazing afternoon and was the perfect celebration for my Grandpa. My Mom grew up going on special vacations to Catalina Island every summer because my Grandpa loved the ocean and boating. Everyone loved it. The weather was beautiful, and the kids loved the ride.

No comments: