Thursday, January 27, 2011

Scouting





Lets get the show on the road guys!

My Ethan is almost eleven (tear tear, sniffle sniffle) which means he will be a boy scout, which means he (WE) have to finish his arrow of light to move on. Cub scouts is a lot of work, I am not gonna lie, its kind of a pain, and a huge thorn in my side, BUT it is worth it. Not only does Ethan have a lot fun in scouts they absolutely do learn lots of useful information. I really do feel like being a scout is a worthwhile activity. So anyway Ethan and I have been working really hard on earning badges and at our last pack meeting, which was also our pinewood derby, Ethan earned his Webelos badge as well his religious square knot, which is the only badge he can continue to wear as a scout. I was really proud of him (and me!) for accomplishing this. When boys earn a ranking badge they get to pin a pin on the Moms. I am so glad the BSA recognizes the Moms, because honestly we earned it too! And after the boys give the Moms a pin all the boys chant kiss, kiss, and the cub then has to kiss the Mom. Its really sweet, and yes it was my favorite part. Ethan didn't wait for them to chant he just jumped right in and kissed me! We still have a few more badges (boo hoo!) to earn before he can get his arrow of light award, but he is almost there.
The pinewood derby was fun. Usually its later in the year so Shawn was really disappointed when they moved it up, because that meant Ethan would still be able to participate. This is Shawn's least favorite part of scouts, but really its the boys favorite. Luckily for Shawn his friend, Patrick, came to the rescue and helped Ethan build his car. It turned out awesome, and Ethan even won second place in the webelos! So Ethan was super happy. They made super cute Twinkies cars for refreshments!

No comments: