Monday, January 26, 2009

Reading

Another resolution this year is to teach the kids to love books. Is that something you can teach? I'm not sure. I didn't grow up liking books. In fact I purposefully would run the other way when I spotted one. Its for that reason that I find it so funny that I love books so much now, and if at all possible I really want my kids to have that same love and appreciation for books as well.
As many of you already know we had our cable turned off a year ago, in hopes that we would all read more. And while it worked for me, we weren't as successful for other members of the family, they just found other things to do, ...I won't mention any names. Another thing that we started was to make good use of all our time spent in the car, by listening to books on CD. We have listened to all of the Harry Potter books. The last two books were so much fun, that we would find ourselves sitting in the driveway, not wanting to get of the car, just to hear what would happen next, until we then started bringing them in the house and listening to them cuddled on the couch.
A part of our nighttime ritual has always been to read a few books, but now that Ethan is getting to old for picture books (although on occasion, he still enjoys them) we have started reading chapter books together. Even Hayden enjoys it; I am not sure if he is following along with the story line, or if he just enjoys the few hushed minutes together. For Christmas we gave Ethan the Chronicles of Narnia. I wanted to get a series that Ethan was familiar with, so that he would start the book thinking that he already liked the story. And these books, while there is like 6 or 7 in the series, they are still short and easy enough to follow along with and really enjoy.
I read on another blog, here, that to make their reading time more special they read in the parents bed with a flashlight. I love this idea, it seems magical to me. To read some where that you normally don't, and by flashlight, what kid isn't going to want to read for hours like that? Another blog I came across that has some great suggestions, (but kind of made me want to give up even trying, because she's to good!) is write start, visit it here.
Any suggestions on cultivating a love of books, or suggestions on good books to read with the kids?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Ash- you are truly inspired. Thank you for sharing and the awesome links. You are an incredible mother. We are heading to the library tomorrow.

nikki said...

You are awesome! Love the post but you know it's something I'm passionate about too. I have always loved reading - I was the kid that always had my nose in a book. Hoping to pass it on to my kids but not sure if I'm doing it right. We do the stuff you guys do - go to the library a lot, read together every night, etc. I like your idea of books on tape. And flashlight reading in mom and dad's bed? Genius.

I guess I need to get Jake Narnia after he finishes the Harry Potter series. Patrick and I loved those as kids!

Lynnette said...

Some great ideas. I have been so tempted to get rid of the TV. We'll have to talk about how you do it! I know I rely on it way too much. My boys love reading at bedtime. They get to stay up an hour later only if they are in their beds with a book. That provides some incentive for them.

Cara said...

One that I read with Bryce recentley was My Fathers Dragon. It is a series of three books. I got it at the library because I heard it was a good one. I think that Bryce really liked it.

Sarah said...

What a great resolution. I love getting the classics for the younger kids and reading them to my girls. Georgia also really likes the Magic Tree House books.

Jer and Cam said...

Ohhhhh I LOVE this post!!! We also listened to the H.P. series on CD - Isn't Jim Dahl AMAZING??? I want him to come and do storytime for us every night! When Breanna was about 5, we switched out the picture books for chapter books too. Here are just a few that my kids (and me!) have loved: Where the Red Fern Grows
The Cay
Shiloh
I love the classics...they have amazing characters and great morals. Now we're reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh!
I think we'll do Narnia next! Let me know of anything else you read that your boys love!

Jer and Cam said...

I couldn't see the link for the write start blog....I would love to check it out, could you post it again?